read the printed word!

Sunday, November 06, 2005

NaNoWriMo? Not I

November is National Novel Writers' Month, aka NaNoWriMo (no Mork involved). There's a whole event going on, where writers have signed up to write 50,000 words, all in the month of November. Quality is not an issue here, just quantity.

Ten reasons why I did not sign up:
1. Fear of Failure
2. Fear of Failure
3. Fear of Failure
4. Fear of Failure
5. Fear of Failure
6. Fear of Failure
7. Fear of Failure
8. Fear of Failure
9. Fear of Failure
10. I started my latest story in October, and am now working on two simultaneously. No need to start another, I assure you. (The voices in my head can all sit quietly now until further notice.)

So I admit I only really have one reasonably good excuse not to join in the fun (a sick bunch of folks to think that torturing yourself into writing 50,000 words on deadline with barely any chance of coming out with something publishable). I'm already overworked and underpaid and I don't even have a "real job".

To all of you brave (insane) souls who have taken the plunge, may you be blessed with an overabundance of words ... some of them good. For now I'll stick with the usual Chicago refrain: Maybe next year.

1 comment:

Running2Ks said...

I am just standing back amazed at the people doing this, and I would have the same fears. Plus, no time no time no time no time.

Kudos to you on sticking with the regular program and leaving an opening for next year.