read the printed word!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Making some noise

I hate election season. I hate all the fighting, all the lies, all the urgent requests for contributions, as if my vote isn't good enough. Sure, I have my preferences, I may even have strong feelings for a candidate here and there. In Illinois, it's more common that my strong feelings are that the candidates belong in jail.

So, since it is inevitable that we WILL send a number of crooks, liars and outright lunatics to Washington with plenty of power to make our lives even more miserable, I found a little comfort in some pending legislation in the US Senate, the Secret Holds Elimination Act. Its purpose, simply to add a layer of accountability for the dirty tricks that mask as business-as-usual. Will it pass? Not without some noise from the peanut gallery.

Here is some noise. Please join me in adding your own.

The following is in quotes because I did not write it. I simply endorse it wholeheartedly.

"I just added my name to Senators McCaskill, Durbin, and Whitehouse's petition calling for swift passage of the Secret Holds Elimination Act in the U.S. Senate.

Senators with something to hide are using “secret holds” at an unprecedented rate to sabotage legislation and nominations that they don’t want to see the light of day.

The McCaskill/Wyden/Grassley Secret Holds Elimination Act would take the “secret” out of the secret holds process by forcing senators to identify themselves when they want to stop progress, and is up for a vote as soon as next week. We have to act now.

Will you join me in helping to make sure this bill passes? Add your name to our petition now!"

http://www.StopSecretHolds.com

Thanks!

No comments: