read the printed word!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Case of the Exploding CD

BANG!

"What just happened?" We both turned and looked at my son accusingly. He was sitting at the computer, playing his favorite dinosaur game.

"Nothing! I didn't do anything!" He was looking around the desk area for any signs of damage, but neither he nor I could find anything wrong.

My husband then confessed that "he's been at that computer all day." Oh good, so much for Turn Off the TV Week, just give 'em a substitute and business as usual. "Finish up and let your brother have a turn," I said.

No more noises, until Lil Guy wanted to change the cd. "Mom, it's stuck!"

Great. Add that to the list. This computer isn't very old, but it's showing signs of wear and tear ... as in children having a little too much freedom to download cool stuff off the internet which will therefore wreak havoc with parents IMPORTANT STUFF (also downloaded off the internet).


"OK, move aside, let Mom get to work here." I shut down. I restarted. I shut down and restarted again. I pushed on the CD door. I jiggled it. I shut down and started again. (I did a few other things that would take too long to explain and might even sound like I knew what the heck I was doing so we just won't go there). Anyway, eventually, it opened for us.

And there sat the shattered pieces of the dinosaur game.

"Well, at least we know what that noise was."

1 comment:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

we didn't actually want to watch tv that much until we were told we had to stop for turn off the tv week. Now I'm having withdrawl from something I never use!