read the printed word!

Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Bitch is Back

Oh I know, that’s not a very nice word. Well, it depends on the context, as I tell my boys. Or, to put it another way, it’s the thought that counts.

We’ve had myriad discussions about what constitutes a “bad word” and basically, it’s all in the meaning. If my boys want to refer to a female dog as a bitch, then that’s fine with me. If they want to call a donkey an ass, that’s ok too. But until they can show me an honest to goodness donkey-hole, then that one is never gonna fly, no matter how obnoxious their driving is.

And since they’re not old enough to know what the famous f-word means, other than that Mom is out-of-her-mind-pissed, then that one better not show itself around here, either.

Now comes “bitch black”.

As in, “What color is Darth Vader?”

“Oh, he’s bitch black, Mom.”

“Do you mean, pitch black?” (enunciating the PPPP sound, of course)

“No, he’s BITCH black. BBBBitch.”

“Are you sure about that, now?”

“Definitely bitchin, Mom.”

OK, that one stays.

No comments: