read the printed word!

Friday, April 17, 2009

Too Much Twitter?

It was like a Twitter Convention, only we all stayed home. And it was all for a good cause.

Seriously, the occasion of Ashton Kutcher's millionth follower (closely followed by CNN's million), combined with Oprah's Twitter Debut, was both a television and internet Event. And I was there. Sitting in the big chair, watching the Oprah show live, and watching the Tweets show up on my computer screen.

That's it ... I just watched. I could tell others were Tweeting away, because AK, known as @aplusk to the world of Twitter, was retweeting questions to Oprah (from his office in CA). And she was answering away, all while talking about other things totally unrelated on her show. BFF Gayle was at it too, and so was mrs. kutcher, from home. Jimmy Fallon was sharing his lunch order at a NY deli, and Ryan Seacrest was taking AK's donation of 10,000 mosquito nets to combat malaria, and getting matching promises from all over Twitter (there's using your powers for good, go Seacrest!).

I felt like I was eavesdropping, watching and listening to a multitude of conversations that were all going on simultaneously. And on my Twitter feed, there were also a number of Other Conversations going on, as well, outside the realm of millions of followers.

But then I had to get on with my day here in suburbia. Homeschooling, errands, deadlines, stuff. But I can't wait to get back to check out the rest of the day on Twitter. Eventually, I'm going to have to pare down my "following" list, back to the manageable stuff that I can keep up with. But it was fun hanging with the celebs and the rest of the Twitter world for a little while. A fun way to start the weekend!

No comments: