read the printed word!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Reading Deprivation Week

I'm following The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, and I just got to the part in week 4 titled "Reading Deprivation". That's right, she wants me to give up reading, all reading except the assignments in the book, for an entire week.

You might as well take away my coffee and my chocolate while you're taking away my books.

Yes, I am an addict. I read ALL the time. I have a pile of library books, I keep several tabs open on my desktop even while I am writing (but not today!), I have too many magazine subscriptions, and yet I read everyone else's in the house, too. I read cereal boxes, even though I've been eating the same cereal for, I don't know, years?

I read junk mail.

It's probably a good thing, to give it all up for awhile. But it's like food, I'll still be required to read SOME words. Street signs while driving. Food labels. The assignments for the week, emails from my fellow sufferers in my writing group, and of course, I procrastinated so I have a deadline this week. So writing, which inevitably leads to reading.

I may find it necessary to read the directions on the bottle of laundry detergent.

The rest of the time, I will not read news on the internet, I will return the pile of books to the library so I'm not tempted by them, and someone else will have to pick up the mail, cause I'm not reading it. And no FB or Twitter, either. (maybe just a peek? no?)

Oh, and no audiobooks or tv or other "media stimulation" is allowed either.

So, looks like the kitchen cabinets will get re-organized after all, as well as the school closet, and my closet, and maybe all the closets in the house.

3 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Are you sure this is a sane person suggesting this?;-)

Anonymous said...

I just got my book so I am far behind but I don't look forward to this. I'm not sure I can give up reading for a week and not replace it with other stories (like movies).
Sara Thompson

Patti said...

To go an entire week without reading was ultimately impossible. To even try was absolutely insane.

Back to my books and blogs and stuff and things are looking up. :)