read the printed word!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Now, what was I doing?

Almost let the entire month slip away without completing and publishing a post here. Note that I didn't say beginning, or attempting, or maybe going all month without being interrupted before a post could land on the page.

But I have been writing today, so now I'm checking in. With readers ... all 2 of you? Still there? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe posting into the void. If only I could be sure of that. A lot more would get posted if only I could be sure nobody would ever read it. Nah. (edit) (delete)

I've been planning. Lots and lots of planning. School starts soon (yes, I'm STILL on summer vacation, don't rush me!). Plan a schedule for that. I have more writing to do ... need to schedule time for that. Traveling, always have a trip to plan (which I usually leave to DH, but alas, still requires SOME planning on my part). Birthdays, holidays, field trips, coffee with friends, maybe another girls' weekend.

And more and more to post here. It's been an exciting summer, and there's much to report. Specifically, I know I promised to someone I would write about the girls' weekend. And I will, maybe today, even. Maybe tomorrow ... there are stories to tell that need to be told, um, delicately.

Like how about this one (here) about requiring breaks for babysitters. Besides offering us an option for the most twisted state in the union, here's CA public servants in action:

Under AB 889, household “employers” (aka “parents”) who hire a babysitter on a Friday night will be legally obligated to pay at least minimum wage to any sitter over the age of 18 (unless it is a family member), provide a substitute caregiver every two hours to cover rest and meal breaks, in addition to workers’ compensation coverage, overtime pay, and a meticulously calculated timecard/paycheck.


And how about we just not hire any babysitters over the age of 18? That's right, you're an adult now, go and get yourself some kids of your own, and by the way ... NO BREAKS! That's right, no playing Xbox with my kids on my dime! You can still come over for a "play date" if you bring pizza. :)

You see the stuff I find when I'm sitting here too long? It's not all my fault, ya know. I get emails, lots of emails, pointing here and there with stuff I absolutely MUST READ NOW. No, really. I do have a delete button, and I use it often. So often it's getting a little worn out. Like the space bar.

But read I must. It's an addiction. Put a box in my hand and if someone typed or wrote on it in any way, I will turn it over and over until I have read all sides. And yet, still distracted by the drivel on tv, which I didn't even turn on so don't blame it on me. Where's the story?

On another tab somewhere.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm reading. I totally feel you - there's something about distractions that are so, well, distracting. The summer goes by too fast but then Christmas is here before I've gotten all my baking done. There's just never enough time for everything.