read the printed word!

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Lies


I know, it's election season in full swing. Things are only going to get worse, and may not get any better once it's all over. That's the price we pay for our democracy.

You probably know what I'm talking about. The story about the Obama administration suing in court to deny military voting rights, when what they're actually doing is defending everyone's voting rights. All while Republicans are drafting voter suppression laws all across the country. Rather un-patriotic of them, if you ask me.

All the claims that Obama lies, and Romney lies, they just even themselves out, right? Except who gets fact-checked? And then who believes the facts, once checked? And once a lie gets started, there's no stopping it. Because people just blindly pass it on, full of outrage without even pausing to question the ludicrousness.

Except I don't. And when I KNOW it's a lie, I find the truth to back me up before I speak up. But I will speak up. I cannot allow my intelligent friends to look bad by passing on the lies "they" want you to believe. (according to FB, an awful lot of you are in that category, but never fear, I still love you all!)

You're being played, people.

Doesn't that make you mad?

1 comment:

laura grace weldon said...

Keep speaking up. The funding behind those hyped lies has never been bigger or more secretive. This are time to talk about how we identify what's true and think for ourselves. Even when it makes us want to scream a little bit. Or in my case, a lot.