read the printed word!

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Getting my shit together and keeping the sparkle alive.

 The Thing about ADHD (and I know I have not mentioned that here before, but it's always been here for those of you who know, you know, and those of you who don't, well ...)

Morning brain dump is necessary. Must get out a bunch of words that may or may not make sense. And lately I've been actually making progress towards putting words in places where they can be found again, and re-worked, and actually used in something. Whether that something gets published, or paid for, or just submitted as an assignment for a class (always taking a class, ALWAYS learning something new), or added to an idea file to be used later. There's still lots of notebooks, pretty ones, and yellow lined legal pads. I try to keep that to three in my laptop bag, and they have 3 separate ... and now the word escapes me. Three separate subjects? No ... one for class, one for web site, one for HABOD stuff (Hartwick Alumni Board of Directors, yes I'm giving back to my school in the one way I can do best, Communications). 

Did I hear laughing? Communications being what I do best? OK, so maybe this jumble brain doesn't always make things clear to the normie world out there, but I can HELP others do it. I'm a facilitator there. And yes, I can actually write. Here is for the brain dump. Not even edited, much.

How effective I am at keeping things separated is another story. But at least I can find some things. With the assistance of my trusty Post-It notes.

And I've been traveling between two homes lately, without losing too much between the cracks, so I think I can finally speak on some ways to manage the ADHD brain (at least for this late stage of life, so more on that later).

Basics: coffee, coffee, and more coffee, as needed. Or other caffeine sources, depending on what is available. It has taken me years to figure out the right amount, but when added to a steady flow of movement (workout, yoga, dancing, pacing, fidgeting), things settle down into a flow. As long as I have control over my schedule, which is why, as everyone has known for most of my life, I am unemployable, not fit to be anyone's worker bee. But I can get shit done when the chips are down, when the deadline looms, when I have the freedom to make my own choices (however odd those choices may look to the uninformed onlooker).

Getting older, attaining Crone status, finally getting my shit together, and keeping the sparkle alive.

No comments: